Jul 23, 2024  
Middlesex Community College Academic Catalog and Student Handbook 2022-23 
Middlesex Community College Academic Catalog and Student Handbook 2022-23 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]


 Admission Information

photo of studentsMiddlesex Community College is a Massachusetts public college with an open admission policy. Students are required to have earned a high school diploma or equivalency diploma (GED or HiSET). MA public high school graduates from 2003 or later must also have met MCAS requirements. SAT scores are not required for admission and there is no application fee or application deadline.

Some programs have additional admission requirements that must be met in order to be considered for admission, and admission to these programs may be competitive due to the limited number of openings. For some health programs, non-Massachusetts residents are only admitted on a space-available basis.

Students are admitted to Middlesex with the understanding that they have the academic ability to meet the requirements of their courses and programs, and the personal capacity to adhere to the standards of conduct published in the Student Handbook. MCC has a reputation for providing a supportive learning environment that meets students where they are and provides students with college services that support them as they pursue their educational goals.


Learn About Middlesex


The Admissions offices in Lowell and Bedford host events for prospective students throughout the year that include campus tours,Getting Started at MCC Sessions, Dual Enrollment Information Sessions, and Open Houses.  A current list of events is available on the Admissions webpage.  

Interested students may meet with an admission counselor in-person or on Zoom to inquire about the admission process, explore program options, be advised on admission to selective programs, discuss transfer credit, learn about college resources, and plan next steps at Middlesex. To schedule an appointment with an admission counselor, call 1-800-818-3434 or email admissions@middlesex.mass.edu .


Applying for Admission

  1. Students should apply at www.middlesex.mass.edu/admissions for Academic Pathways,  Associate Degrees and Certificates. View our Programs of Study . Students should review the list below to confirm if their program of interest has additional admission requirements. Additional admission requirements are detailed in Programs of Study. For most programs, the acceptance letter will be viewable within an hour in the account that was created to apply. Paper applications may be requested at 1-800-818-3434 and returned to: Middlesex Community College, Enrollment Management Center, 33 Kearney Square, Lowell, MA  01852-1987.
  • High school seniors - Seniors can apply and be admitted pending receiving their high school diploma. Students should request that a mid-year or final high school transcript be sent to admissions@middlesex.mass.edu to assist with course placement. Students who have not yet graduated when they apply should go to e-Forms Central  to complete an electronic High School Graduation or Equivalency Certification form certifying that they have earned a high school diploma or GED/HiSET credential before they start classes.
  • Homeschooled students - These students are eligible to apply for admission when they are completing an approved Homeschool program in accordance with MA General Laws or the laws of their home state and meet MCC admission requirements. 
  • Readmitted students - Students admitted to Middlesex but not enrolled within the last two years must submit a new application. Readmitted students receive new student admission information. Please note: Middlesex retains educational records for seven years after a student was last enrolled at the college.
  • Transfer students - These students should request that their previous institutions send undergraduate transcripts to registrar@middlesex.mass.edu or to: Middlesex Community College, Enrollment Management Center, 33 Kearney Square, Lowell, MA 01852-1987 to receive transfer credit. Unofficial transcripts can be used for course placement and assist with registration by demonstrating how course prerequisites are met. 
  • International students - Applicants who are not United States citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. and are interested in obtaining a student visa (F-1) must complete an online International Student Application. Visit the International Admissions page for additional information including a list of required documents and an estimation of costs. ​
  • Dual Enrollment students - A growing number of individual high school and homeschool students taking classes as Dual Enrollment students, are accumulate enough credits to graduate from their high school or homeschool and receive an Associate degreee at the same time. Dual Enrollment students who meet credit requirements to graduate from a program, should meet with Admissions as early as possible in their final spring semester and submit a paper MCC application and graduation application. 17 Dual Enrollment students graduated with Associate degrees in Spring 2022. Visit the Dual Enrollment website for additional information.
  1. Students interested in registering for a credit class or classes at Middlesex without enrolling in an Academic Pathway or Program have registration options:
  • Visiting Student - A student with a high school diploma or equivalency who meets course prerequisites and wants to enroll in one or more classes for a specific term can apply as a visiting student.  Visiting students are not seeking a degree from Middlesex Community College and are not eligible for Financial Aid.
  • High School Visiting Student - A high school student who meets all Dual Enrollment application requirements, but who is not planning to use a course or courses to meet graduation requirements, completes a Visiting Student Credit Registration form to register. This student is taking courses for personal enrichment that may be used later for transfer.
  • Dual Enrollment student - A high school student who meets all Dual Enrollment application requirements and is planning to use courses to meet graduation requirements. This student needs to submit a completed and signed Dual Enrollment Registration form to register for classes. A new form is submitted for any registration changes. Visit the Dual Enrollment website for additional information.


 Programs with Additional Admission Requirements

Applicants to the following programs must meet additional admission requirements stated in Programs of Study. Health programs have a limited number of seats and may not be able to admit all qualified applicants. 

General Programs

  • Digital Forensics Certificate
  • Early Childhood Leadership Certificate
  • IT Cybersecurity Operations Certificate
  • IT Advanced Cybersecurity Operations Certificate
  • Paralegal Studies Certificate

Health Programs

  • Dental Assisting
  • Dental Hygiene
  • Dental Laboratory Technology
  • Diagnostic Medical Sonography
  • Medical Assisting
  • Medical Billing and Coding
  • Medical Laboratory Technician
  • Nursing
  • Phlebotomy
  • Radiologic Technology


International Admission

Applicants who are not United States citizens or permanent residents of the U.S. and are interested in obtaining a student visa (F-1) complete an online International Student Application. Application requirements include: statements of financial support, scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) of 500 (written) or 173 (computerized) or 61 (Web-based) if English is not the student’s first language, and a physician’s certificate of health, including immunizations which comply with Massachusetts state law. For more information go to www.middlesex.mass.edu/internationaladmissions or email international@middlesex.mass.edu.

Course Placement

Admitted students with no previous College English and/or Math work with MCC placement specialists to determine their placement (eligibility level in these subject areas). This step must be done before a student can register in classes. Most classes have one or more prerequisites (requirements that a student needs to meet in order to register for a class). There are multiple measures - multiple ways to determine English and/or Math Placement:


  • A high school graduate within the last 3 years with a 2.7GPA  should request that a high school transcript be sent to admissions@middlesex.mass.edu. This student is eligibile for College level English and Math.   
  • A high school graduate within the last 10 years with a 2.7GPA  should request that a high school transcript be sent to admissions@middlesex.mass.edu. This student is eligibile for College level English.
  • A transfer student can provide an unofficial transcript to demonstrate eligibility for College level English and/or Math.
  • A recent high school graduate can also use SAT or ACT scores for placement. 
  • Guided Self-Placement - New students who do not place using other multiple measures use Guided Self-Placement for English and/or Math level eligibility. 
  • Accuplacer is a rarely used computerized placement test.The test consists of reading and math sections and a short essay. Students provide photo identification to take the Accuplacer.
  • More information about placement is available at https://www.middlesex.mass.edu/studentassessment/default.aspx.



Getting Ready to Register

Connecting with Middlesex

  • The Online Orientation for new students at Middlesex provides a virtual campus tour, information about academic expectations; campus activities, and accessing academic resources and student support services. Students can complete part of the Online Orientation and return later to finish the orientation.
  • Download the MCC App to get updates, learn about college resources, and connect with other students.
  • Tours of both campuses are available year-round.

Financial Aid

Middlesex Community College is committed to providing access to higher education by helping to reduce economic barriers. Approximately 53 percent of MCC students currently receive financial aid. The role of MCC’s Financial Aid Office is to provide information about student aid programs and to assist eligible students in accessing these programs.

Students are encouraged to apply for financial aid https://www.middlesex.mass.edu/financialaid/ to help meet the expenses of attending college. Financial aid awards are based on financial need, enrollment status in an eligible program, and availability of funding. MCC’s academic year for financial aid begins with the fall semester and concludes with the summer semester. Students who apply for financial aid must apply every academic year after October 1. MCC’s priority filing date is May 1 for each upcoming academic year and December 1 for students who are registering for the spring semester only.

General information about financial aid is available in MCC’s Student Information Centers or by contacting the Financial Aid Office. In Bedford, the office is located in the Enrollment Center (Building 9); 781-280-3650. In Lowell, the office is located on the third floor of the Cowan Center; 978-656-3242. Both Financial Aid Offices are open Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and the e-mail address is financialaid@middlesex.mass.edu.  

Disability Support Services

The collegiate experience at Middlesex, on the campus and in the classroom, is open to students of varying abilities and levels of adaptive skills. The DSS office provides services and resources to empower each student to attain his/her highest level of academic success and learning independence. Students seeking accommodations through the Disability Support Services office are required to submit documentation to verify eligibility under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the ADA Amendments Act of 2008. Protection under these civil rights statutes is determined on a case-by-case basis and is based upon documentation of a current disability that substantially limits a major life activity. In addition, clients of  Massachusetts agencies, such as the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission or the MA Commission for the Blind, are assisted by MCC’s Office of Disability Support Services. Students can go to https://www.middlesex.mass.edu/disabilityservices/ to learn more.  

Immunization Records

Massachusetts law requires that all full-time students (those enrolled in 12 or more credit hours) and under the age of 30, and all students in the Health Division* (part-time and full-time, regardless of age) provide proof that they have been immunized against Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Hepatitis B, Varicella, Meningococcal (MenACWY) (required of full-time students 21 years of age or younger received on or after 16th birthday), and one lifetime dose of Tdap (Tetanus/Diphtheria/Acellular Pertussis - after 2006) in order to attend classes at any public or private college or university in Massachusetts. Students born in the United States before January 1, 1957 will be considered immune to Measles, Mumps and Rubella and exempt from the MMR vaccine requirement. Students born in the United States before January 1,1980 will be considered immune to Varicella (chicken pox) and exempt from the Varicella requirements.

Students who do not complete these requirements are subject to a health services immunization hold. Students with this hold are unable to view semester grades or have transcripts sent to other colleges until their records are submitted. Please visit the MCC’s Immunization webpage https://www.middlesex.mass.edu/studentinformationcenter/requiredimm.aspx  or email records@middlesex.mass.edu for additional information about these requirements.

*All health programs will require additional immunizations

Health Insurance

Chapter 15 of the General Laws of Massachusetts requires that all students registered in 9 or more credit hours participate in the College Student Medical and Accident Insurance Plan. This requirement may be waived for students who already have comparable health insurance. These students should complete and submit a waiver form. Students should contact Student Accounts if they have additional questions about their tuition bill.


Veterans and Military-Connected Educational Benefits

Middlesex Community College programs of study are approved for the receipt of veterans’ and military connected educational benefits.

Massachusetts veterans may also qualify for the waiver of their tuition costs and should contact the Student Accounts Office https://www.middlesex.mass.edu/studentaccounts/ for additional information on program requirements.

Related Topic: To learn more about resources for veterans and current service members, see the Veterans Resource Center.


Criminal Offender Record Information and Sex Offender Registry Information (CORI\SORI) Checks

In order for a student to be eligible to participate in an academic, community or clinical program that involves potential unsupervised contact with children, the disabled, the elderly and other vulnerable populations, the student may be required to undergo a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) check and/or a Sex Offender Registry Information (SORI) check. Students found to have certain criminal convictions or pending criminal actions will be presumed ineligible to participate in such activities.

The College is authorized by the Commonwealth’s Criminal History Systems Board, pursuant to Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 6, Sections 167-178B, to access CORI records. The College shall refer to regulations issued by the Commonwealth’s Executive Office of Health and Human Services, 101 Code of Massachusetts Regulations 15.00-15.16, as guidance when assessing student CORI records. Sex Offender checks shall be performed pursuant to Massachusetts General Laws, Chapter 6, Sections 178C-178P.

If a student is allowed to enroll or participate in such a program despite having certain criminal convictions or pending criminal actions, this is no guarantee that a future employer would also disregard such criminal record. For more information regarding the College’s CORI/SORI check process, please contact Rebecca Newell, Dean of Students at (978) 656-3363.


Registering for Classes

  • All students admitted to an Associate degree or Certificate program are encouraged to meet with an Academic Advisor to register for their first semester at Middlesex.  Students an arrange for registration assistance by calling 1-800-818-3434 or by visiting https://www.middlesex.mass.edu/advising/. New students should attend a New Student Registration Session.
  • Continuing students are encouraged to review their academic map in Programs of Study and their progress in Degreeworks before loggging into MyMCC to click on My Registration and register for classes.
  • Students who do not plan to enroll in a specific program may register as a Visiting Student.  The Visiting Student Form may be filled out electronically or students may call 1-800-818-3434 to speak to an enrollment specialist.   For course offerings,  course descriptions, and class meeting times and places, visit our online enrollment link in MiddleNet or call 1-800-818-3434.
  • Visit this link for detailed information on your Pathways to Enrollment: How Do I Register?

Academic Planning


Both matriculated students, those who have applied to the college and been admitted to a program, and Dual Enrollment students are assigned an academic advisor. Academic advising is a valuable service, since all students are responsible for fulfilling the precise requirements of their academic program.

Each semester, students must meet with their academic advisor to plan their course selections for the following semester. Before registering for classes, students are responsible for making and keeping appointments with academic advisors to ensure they select courses with appropriate content and credit.

Students are strongly encouraged to consult academic advisors by scheduling in-person or Zoom meetings with them through Navigate. Academic advisors can provide program and career guidance, advise students on course sequencing, share tools such as Degreeworks and features in Navigate, register students for classes, and provide transfer advising.

Academic and Transfer Advising


MCC’s Academic and Transfer Advising Centers in Bedford and Lowell are designed to help students identify their goals, and develop and modify an educational plan to reflect their academic, career and life goals. Whether it is your plan to take a few classes, transfer to another institution, or earn a degree from Middlesex, our advisors will work with you to help achieve your goals. The advising process includes providing timely, accurate information about academic and career opportunities, program requirements, college policies and procedures, and seamless transfer pathways. Advisors also connect and refer students to support services and resources.

Academic Advising Services - Academic advising at Middlesex is a shared practice throughout the institution that supports teaching and learning. Individualized, collaborative relationships between students and advisors lead to a better understanding of current skill levels, aptitudes, interests and strengths. This fosters an appreciation of the role of higher-education planning in developing and achieving student objectives.

Through frequent interaction, advisors engage students in assuming an active, self-sufficient role in their academic planning. Academic advisors promote student retention and progress by encouraging students to identify and pursue their appropriate educational and professional goals.

Transfer Services - Middlesex recognizes that students may utilize a variety of educational programs to complete their educational goals. We encourage students to explore transfer options early in the development of their educational/career plan.

There are many ways for students to bring previously earned credit to MCC. Students may also take credits earned at Middlesex to other colleges and universities. Our transfer counselors can assist students with this process by providing incoming-transfer credit evaluation, as well as transfer counseling to baccalaureate programs, including MassTransfer .

In Bedford, the Academic Advising and Transfer Center is located on the first floor of the Enrollment Center (Building 9). In Lowell, the Academic Advising and Transfer Center is located on the third floor of the Cowan Center building, 

Call 1-800-818-3434 for more information or to make an appointment with one of our advisors.


Taking Care of Business

To pay your tuition and fees:

  • Complete your Financial Aid application.
  • Sign up for the Middlesex Community College payment plan, available for fall, spring, and summer sessions. Contact the Student Accounts Office for more information.
  • Payment can be made online by electronic check (ACH) or by credit card at My Bill on MyMCC. ?

To take care of your health insurance:

  • If you register for nine or more credits, you will be charged for health insurance. This fee may be waived if you are covered under another health insurance plan.

    Note: Insurance requirements may vary for students admitted to Health programs.
  • If you are planning to be covered under your parents’ health insurance, be sure to check their student enrollment requirements.

Let us know if you:

  • Need to withdraw from a class.
  • Change your major program of study.
  • Change your address or phone number.


Starting Classes

Most successful MCC students:

  • Attend every class meeting 
  • Log on to their myMCC Portal
  • Follow their syllabus requirements closely
  • Check their MCC email every day
  • Buy or rent their books during the first week of classes.

Changes to your schedule:

  • Occasionally a course is canceled due to low enrollment. To register for another class, log on to www.middlesex.mass.edu or call us at 1-800-818-3434.
  • To make changes to your schedule, complete the Add/Drop process at www.middlesex.mass.edu, call 1-800-818-3434, or visit a Student Information Center before the end of the first week of classes.

MCC Registration Opportunities


High School Students


Dual Enrollment/Early College - Dual Enrollment and Early College programs at Middlesex allow qualified high school and home-schooled students to begin earning college credit while satisfying their high school graduation requirements. Students work with their high school or home school advisor to select coursework that will satisfy both high school and college requirements. To qualify, students must have a high school grade average of at least a “C.” The student must also have written approval from a guidance counselor, as well as from a parent or guardian and must meet all eligibility requirements for the college coursework.  Home-schooled students must have evidence of school-district program approval. To maintain eligibility for the Dual Enrollment Academy, students must earn a minimum of a 2.0 grade point average in their MCC courses. Additional information is available at www.middlesex.mass.edu/dualenroll/.

Technical Preparation - Students attending participating technical, vocational and comprehensive high schools have opportunities to enhance their high school, college and workplace experiences through on- and off-campus activities. Articulation agreements provide a smooth transition from high school to college. Additional information is available at www.middlesex.mass.edu/admissions/.

Northeast Consortium of Colleges and Universities in Massachusetts (NECCUM)


NECCUM is an opportunity for full-time MCC day students to register for courses not offered at MCC while still paying the MCC tuition rate. Enrollment in courses at another NECCUM institution is on a space available basis for up to two courses per fall or spring semester. Additional fees, such as lab fees, must be paid to the host institution and students must comply with the regulations of the host institution.

The 11 NECCUM colleges and universities:

  • Cambridge College
  • Endicott College
  • Gordon College
  • Merrimack College
  • Middlesex Community College
  • Montserrat College of Art
  • Northern Essex Community College
  • North Shore Community College
  • Regis College 
  • Salem State University
  • University of Massachusetts Lowell

For more information about the program and registration process contact Academic and Transfer Advising.


Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC)


MCC students may enroll in Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) programs at UMass Lowell through the Northeast Consortium of Colleges and Universities in Massachusetts (NECCUM). ROTC programs qualify men and women enrolled as degree candidates for commissions as second lieutenants in the United States Air Force or the United States Army.

UMass Lowell offers both Air Force ROTC (AFROTC) and Army ROTC (AROTC) programs. Students may major in any undergraduate discipline.  Both ROTC programs offers several types of scholarships. Details regarding ROTC programs and scholarships are available from  Academic & Transfer Advising, or by contacting the ROTC programs directly:

Both UMass Lowell ROTC programs are located at 600 Suffollk St., Suite 160, Lowell, MA  01854.

Additional information is also available at the ROTC national websites:  Air Force ROTC: www.afrotc.com, or Army ROTC: www.goarmy.com/rotc.