Jun 04, 2023  
Middlesex Community College Academic Catalog 2007-2009 
Middlesex Community College Academic Catalog 2007-2009 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Transfer Information

This section includes information for students who wish to transfer credits in to a major program of study at Middlesex, as well as information about transferring credits earned at MCC out to a bachelor’s degree program.

Transfer IN – Receiving MCC Credit for Academic Work Completed Elsewhere

Applying Transfer Credit to an MCC Degree or Certificate Program


There are many ways for students to bring credit to MCC. You can transfer credit from an accredited college, or you can be awarded credit for advanced placement or through prior learning. Send an official transcript to the Enrollment Communications & Support Department and we will evaluate your transcript for credit. Please contact an academic counselor in the Academic Planning Center for further assistance.

Transfer of Credit From Other Institutions


Credits are accepted by transfer from other regionally accredited schools or colleges with requisite transcript documents. A maximum of 45 credits earned at other institutions may be applied to academic programs in addition to formal coursework taken at Middlesex Community College. A minimum of 15 credits toward an associate degree or certificate from MCC must be earned through formal coursework at Middlesex, and a minimum of nine credits must be completed in the field of specialization. Students who transferred 12 or more credits into MCC are exempted from the intensive value requirements. (Note: Initial review applies credits to the maximum amount of credit we can award to you; the final number depends on your major program of study.)

Transfer of credits for college coursework completed at other accredited institutions (with a grade of “C” or better) is applied, provided that the course content relates appropriately to the student’s major program of study at MCC. A maximum of one course with a grade of “C-” or “D” (up to four equivalent semester hours) may be accepted for each 15 hours of credit transferred. To qualify for transfer credit, a “C-,” “D+” or “D” grade must be included in a group of transferable courses reflecting a GPA of at least 2.00. No grade less than a “C” will be accepted for a required course in a career program.

Before enrolling in courses at another college, students should obtain approval from the Academic Planning Center to ensure that this coursework is applicable to their degree program and therefore acceptable as transfer credit at Middlesex Community College. Credit for coursework completed at nonaccredited institutions may be considered on a provisional basis.

Credit for Prior Learning, Training, Work or Life Experience


Experiential Learning Program

Students with training, work or life experience that is equivalent to eligible MCC courses can earn credit toward their Middlesex degree or certificate programs. Credit is earned through a variety of methods, such as departmental exams, portfolio evaluations and documentation of training or professional certification. Credits awarded through this program are generally not transferable to other institutions. Applicants for Experiential Learning credit must be currently enrolled Middlesex students. There are nonrefundable fees for the evaluation process. Participation in the Experiential Learning Program and eligibility of courses varies by college department and program, and may be restricted by law or external accreditation boards. For more information, contact the Experiential Learning Program Coordinator at 781-280-3852 or kaulfussr@middlesex.mass.edu.

CLEP Exams

The College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) is made up of a series of examinations in a variety of subject areas. The exams are prepared and offered by the College Board (a national organization) and may be taken at several local colleges. Middlesex accepts the general and subject examinations. To find out what areas are covered, and where and how to take CLEP exams, see the CLEP website at www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/clep/about.html. To find out how CLEP exam results might be applied for credit in MCC programs, contact the Academic Planning Center at 1-800-818-3434.

Military Service

The college uses the ACE Military Guide to evaluate military training, education and experience. Credit for military experience is treated as transfer credit and listed as military credit on a student’s transcript. For more information, contact the Academic Planning Center at 1-800-818-3434.

Note: Due to state regulations, credit for experiential learning, CLEP and military service cannot be awarded to students in the Criminal Justice program.

Articulation Agreements with Secondary Schools


Middlesex is a member of several area collaboratives through which qualified students who attend the participating schools may plan their junior and senior years of high school as the first stage of a community college associate degree program. Students who apply to an articulated program at Middlesex must perform at an advanced level in their junior and senior years to receive college credit for some high school coursework. Among the MCC programs included in these agreements are: Computer, Software & Networking Technology; Computer Applications; Business Administration; Computer Aided Design (CAD) Technology; Health Careers; Early Childhood Education; Dental Assisting; Biotechnology Technician; Graphic Design; Hospitality Management and Fashion Merchandising.

In accordance with the goals of Tech Prep and the federally legislated School-to-Work Opportunities Act of 1994, MCC is committed to preparing individuals to qualify for skilled and rewarding occupations. This effort includes relationships with technical, vocational and comprehensive high schools that provide a smooth transition from high school to college.

Credit for Health Profession Certification


Licensed Practical Nurses

Licensed Practical Nurses who have been accepted into the Nursing program may challenge NUR 101 (Fundamentals of Nursing), and NUR 102 (Nursing Practicum). Upon completion of the challenge process, students may be awarded credit for these courses and may enroll in NUR 152 (Intergenerational Nursing). Detailed information concerning the challenge process may be obtained in the Student Information Center. (See Health Careers - Nursing program information for LPN enrollment options.)

Middlesex Community College has articulation agreements with Greater Lowell Regional Technical School, Assabet Valley Vocational Technical School, and Shawsheen Vocational School post-secondary licensed practical nursing programs. Recent graduates of these programs (within the last five years) who are admitted into MCC’s associate degree Nursing program may be eligible to receive credit for NUR 101, NUR 151, NUR 102, NUR 152 and concurrent clinical practicum courses. Further information is available at the Student Information Center. (See Health Careers - Nursing program information LPN enrollment options.)

Diagnostic Medical Sonographers, Radiologic Technologists and Registered Nurses

Thirty (30) credits of professional electives may be granted toward completion of the Liberal Studies degree program to diagnostic medical sonographers, radiologic technologists or Registered Nurses upon presentation of current registration or certification.

Medical Assistants

Fifteen (15) credits of professional electives may be granted toward completion of the Liberal Studies degree program to medical assistants upon presentation of current certification.

Transfer OUT – Preparing for Transfer to a Bachelor’s Degree Program

Many students intend to continue their education to earn a bachelor’s degree at another institution after completing coursework at Middlesex. You are encouraged to take advantage of our transfer opportunities and consult with an academic counselor in the Academic Planning Center.

Joint Admissions Programs


By participating in the Joint Admissions Program, Middlesex students can be guaranteed admission to one of these participating colleges: The four University of Massachusetts undergraduate campuses, seven of the state colleges, and Suffolk University. Joint Admissions is open to students in approved MCC major programs of study who complete their associate degree with a 2.5 or higher GPA.

From a student’s first semester through completion of an associate degree, customized transfer counseling and academic advising is available for those enrolling in major programs of study approved for Joint Admissions at MCC. During their final semester at Middlesex, students sign an Intent to Enroll form with their college of choice. They then make a seamless transition to a bachelor’s degree program at their selected college or university. (Note: Suffolk University requires that students sign a participation form before they have earned 30 credits at Middlesex. Participation forms are available in the Student Information Centers on both campuses.) Other transfer options remain open to students in the Joint Admissions Programs.

Tuition Advantage Plan


Students participating in Joint Admissions who graduate from Middlesex with a 3.0 or higher GPA receive a 33 percent reduction on in-state tuition for the first year of their bachelor’s degree program at a participating college. The reduction is renewable for a second year for students maintaining a 3.0 or higher GPA. Students may also apply for other forms of financial aid. (Note: Suffolk University is not a participant in the Tuition Advantage Program.)

Bachelor’s Degree Completion Programs


Middlesex Community College has entered into partnerships with Salem State College and Fitchburg State College to provide bachelor’s degree completion programs in selected fields. These programs are designed to allow a student who has earned an associate degree to complete a Salem State or Fitchburg State bachelor’s degree by taking much of the additional required coursework on site at Middlesex.

Salem State offers bachelor’s degree completion programs in Criminal Justice, Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, Liberal Studies - Health Professions Concentration, and Sociology as a second major for licensure in education, as well as graduate-level courses in education. These programs are offered on MCC’s Bedford and Lowell campuses. For further information about programs or courses, call Salem State’s Division of Continuing Education at 978-542-6935 or visit: www.salemstate.edu/mcc.

Details about special transfer credit agreements in place for students who have earned an associate degree in an appropriate discipline at Middlesex are available from the Transfer Admissions Office and Academic Advising Center at Salem State.

Fitchburg State offers a bachelor’s degree completion program in Special Education licensure on MCC’s Bedford campus. The program leads to licensure in both Special Education (moderate disabilities) and Elementary Education. Fitchburg State has been a leader in the preparation of special educators in the region for more than 55 years. Paraeducators already working in school settings may be able to utilize their work to complete many of the field-based requirements in this program. For more information, contact George Bohrer, Associate Dean of Graduate and Continuing Education at Fitchburg State: 978-665-4640 or gbohrer@fsc.edu.

Individuals enrolled in any bachelor’s degree completion coursework are Salem Sate or Fitchburg State college students and, therefore, must comply with all academic policies and procedures at those colleges.

Commonwealth Transfer Compact


The Commonwealth Transfer Compact specifies conditions under which a Massachusetts community college transfer student may transfer to a public college or university within the state with minimal loss of associate degree credit.

The most recent version of the Transfer Compact was voted on by the Board of Higher Education and took effect in January, 1990. Under the terms of this agreement, “a student shall be eligible for Transfer Compact status if he or she has met the following requirements:

  1. completed an associate degree with a minimum of 60 credit hours exclusive of developmental coursework;
  2. achieved a cumulative grade point average of not less than 2.0 (in a 4.0 system) at the community college awarding the degree.”

The agreement further stipulates completion of a minimum general education core, exclusive of developmental coursework, as part of the student’s associate degree requirements.

Transfer Compact Core for students entering Middlesex Community College beginning with the Spring 1990 semester:

English Composition/Writing 6 credits
Behavioral and Social Sciences 9 credits
Humanities and Fine Arts 9 credits
Natural or Physical Science 8 credits
Mathematics 3 credits

The 35 credits in general education specified above are applied toward fulfillment of the receiving institution’s (i.e., state college or UMASS campus) general education requirements. A minimum of 25 additional credits will be accepted as transfer credits by the receiving institution. These credits may be transferred as free electives, toward the receiving institution’s additional general education requirements, toward the student’s major, or any combination, as the receiving institution deems appropriate.

Only college-level course credits consistent with the standards set by Board of Higher Education recommendations are included under this Compact. Credits awarded by Middlesex through CLEP (the College Level Examination Program), challenge examinations, and other life-experience evaluations for course credit may be included when Middlesex certifies that a student qualifies under this Compact.

To complete the baccalaureate degree, a student who transfers under this Compact may be required to take no more than 68 additional credits unless:

  1. the student changes his or her program upon entering the receiving institution; or
  2. the combination of additional general education requirements, if any, and the requirements of the student’s major at the receiving institution total more than 68 credits.

Under these circumstances, transfer students will be subject to the same requirements as native students. (The term “native student” refers to students who began their undergraduate education at the baccalaureate institution.)

To be certified as having achieved Transfer Compact status, the Commonwealth Transfer Compact must be noted on the student’s transcript. Each student record is reviewed at graduation.

Additional Transfer Opportunities


Middlesex Community College has developed other articulation agreements locally and nationally. These agreements are designed to ease the transfer process, allowing a student to specifically plan a curriculum that will fit a chosen bachelor’s degree program at a selected college or university.

Among the MCC associate degree programs included in these agreements are: Business Administration Transfer, Computer Science, Criminal Justice, Early Childhood Education, Engineering Science Transfer, Fire Protection & Safety Technology, Human Services, Liberal Arts & Sciences, Life Sciences, Nursing, and Physical Sciences. Colleges with MCC articulation agreements include: American University, Bentley College, Emmanuel College, Fitchburg State College, Lesley University, Mass. College of Pharmacy, Mass. College of Liberal Arts, New England Institute of Art, Pine Manor College, Regis College, Rivier College, Salem State College, Suffolk University, UMASS Boston, UMASS Lowell and Vermont College of Norwich University.

Transfer Scholarships


A number of scholarships are available to MCC students planning to transfer to bachelor’s degree programs:

  • New England Transfer Association Scholarship
  • UMASS Amherst Community College Academic Scholarship
  • UMASS Boston Foster Furcolo Scholarship
  • UMASS Dartmouth Chancellor’s Transfer Merit Scholarship
  • UMASS Lowell Community College Scholarship
  • University Community College Scholars Program

For more information about transfer scholarships, visit an Academic Planning Center or call an academic counselor at 1-800-818-3434.

How to Request an MCC Transcript

To request an MCC transcript, we must have your transcript request in writing. You may visit the Student Information Centers on either campus to obtain a form or you may mail a request to us. We need to have your name, Social Security number, your approximate dates of attendance, and the complete address where the transcript will be sent. We also need to have your signature in order to release your transcript. There is a fee of $2 per transcript. For further information about requesting an MCC transcript, call Enrollment Communications and Support at 1-800-818-3434, or visit the college website at www.middlesex.mass.edu.


Our students transfer to…

  • Bentley College
  • Boston University
  • Boston College
  • Brandeis University
  • Bridgewater State College
  • Cambridge College
  • George Washington University
  • Harvard University
  • Johnson & Wales University
  • Keene State College
  • Lesley College
  • Massachusetts College of Art
  • Merrimack College
  • Massachusetts Institute of Technology
  • New England Conservatory of Music
  • Northeastern University
  • Plymouth State University
  • Quinnipiac University
  • Rochester Institute of Technology
  • Salem State College
  • Southern New Hampshire University
  • Suffolk University
  • Syracuse University
  • Tufts University
  • University of Connecticut
  • University of Florida
  • University of Hawaii
  • University of Illinois
  • University of Maine
  • University of Maryland
  • University of Massachusetts at Amherst, Boston, Dartmouth & Lowell
  • University of New Hampshire
  • University of North Carolina
  • University of Rhode Island
  • University of Texas
  • Westfield State College
  • Worcester State College
  • Worcester Polytechnic Institute

    …and many others