This program will begin in the Fall of 2017
The Engineering Technology - Precision Machining Certificate is designed to provide the education and training needed for entry-level employment within the precision machining industry. Program requirements stress the foundational mathematics, communications, problem solving, and technical skills that prepare students to learn specific machining skills valued by precision manufacturing companies. The program is designed to include hands-on training on precision machining equipment.
(This program is pending approval for college financial aid. Please consult the Student Information Center for tuition and fees.)
Career and Transfer Outlook:
The Massachusetts Department of Higher Education Advanced Manufacturing Workforce Plan notes that there is a need to more than double the number of students completing advanced manufacturing programs in order to meet current demand . Graduates of the program are qualified to pursue entry-level jobs in the precision machining industry. These positions include: Machinist, CNC Operator, and CNC Machinist among others. In addition to being able to fill entry-level positions, graduates are prepared to understand the functional components of the advanced equipment used by the industry, which provides a foundation for further specialized training on company specific equipment and processes. This specialized training prepares individuals for such positions as CNC Set-up Programmer, Machine Tool Mechanic, Mold Maker, Tool and Die Maker, Quality Technician, and Cell Leader. The industry values promotion from within, so strong job performance can lead to promotional opportunities on the shop floor and open up career pathways in manufacturing support positions, such as quality, safety, engineering and management. Advancement within the industry may require additional college level or outside training.
Graduates of the certificate program without a college degree may choose to continue toward an associate degree or bachelor’s degree and may be able to apply some credits from the certificate.
Graduates of the Engineering Technology - Precision Machining Certificate are prepared to:
* Understand personal and company responsibilities in order to implement safe work practices.
* Understand the fundamentals of quality systems and inspection techniques in order to implement in practice.
* Demonstrate proficiency in industry required mathematical skills.
* Demonstrate industry skills mastered through hands-on precision machining training program.
* Demonstrate proficiency in CAD skills by creating complex drawings and schematics used in the precision machining industry.
* Demonstrate proficiency in reading, understanding and following detailed blueprints and schematics.
* Demonstrate literacy skills sufficient to understand complex procedures, and communicate effectively within and between groups.
* Demonstrate an understanding of basic mathematics including the basic applied geometry and trigonometry concepts used in precision machining operations.
* Apply Lean Manufacturing techniques to identify process and product problems, and working within groups, develop data driven solutions.
* Gain entry-level employment at a Precision Machining Company.