Jun 12, 2024  
Middlesex Community College Academic Catalog 2021-22 
Middlesex Community College Academic Catalog 2021-22 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Academic Information


photo of students

This section includes important information related to academic affairs at Middlesex not found elsewhere in the catalog.


College Course Placement and Testing


Before enrolling for classes, entering students must determine their eligibility for college level English and Math coursework (placement).  Placement is determined through a variety options including Multiple Measures and Guided Self Placement. 

Multiple Measures: In many cases, students can place into college-level English and Mathematics based on a recent high school GPA, SAT scores, ACT scores or previous college-level courses.

Guided Self Placement:  Students who are not able to place using multiple measure criteria can use guided self-placement for English and Math courses. Guided self-placement is only for students who have not taken any previous English and Math courses at Middlesex Community College.

Accuplacer: Most students will not need to take a college placement test to determine course placement however it is still used in exceptional situations.  The computerized test consists of a reading section, math section, and a short essay. Students are required to have photo identification when taking a placement exam.

For detailed information on multiple measure criteria, the guided self-placement process, and the use of Accuplacer, students should visit the College Student Assessment and Placement website.

Adding/Dropping Courses


To Add a Full Term Course to Your Schedule – Fall & Spring Semester

  • New students may add a course based on the date published in the academic calendar.
  • Returning students may add a course to their schedule through the first week of the semester by visiting their MYMCC Student portal (mymcc.middlesex.mass.edu), by calling 1-800-818-3434, or by visiting the Student Information Center on either campus. Some registration restrictions may apply.

To Add a Course to Your Schedule - Summer Semester and Minimesters

  • For summer classes that meet twice per week or are online (8 week session): Students may add a class up to the second day of classes.
  • For summer classes that meet three times per week or are online (5 week session) : Students may add a class up to the first day of classes.
  • For Minimester semester classes, check the Academic Calendar for the last day to add classes.
  • Students may add a course by visiting their MYMCC Student portal (mymcc.middlesex.mass.edu), by calling 1-800-818-3434, or by visiting the Student Information Center on either campus.

To Add a Course to Your Schedule - WinterSession and Quick Start Semesters

  • For January WinterSession and Quick-Start sessions, students must register before the first day of class.
  • Students may add a course by visiting their MYMCC Student portal (mymcc.middlesex.mass.edu), by calling 1-800-818-3434, or by visiting the Student Information Center on either campus.

To Drop a Course from Your Schedule

  • Students may drop one or more courses by visiting MYMCC  Student portal (mymcc.middlesex.mass.edu ), by calling 1-800-818-3434, or by visiting the Student Information Center on either campus.
  • Drop dates vary by length of term. Information about drop dates and our refund policy can be found on the Student Accounts website


Withdrawal Policy


Withdrawing from course(s) differs from dropping course(s). Students have the right to drop course(s) through the course drop period published in the academic calendar (e.g., the first two (2) weeks of fall or spring semester).  Course(s) that are dropped will not appear on the official transcript. When a student drops a course, refunds are adjusted as detailed in the Tuition and Fee Refund policy.

After the course drop period, students have the right to withdraw from one, several, or all courses through the last day to withdraw as published in the academic calendar (e.g., the twelfth (12th) week of the fall or spring semester). The withdrawal deadline is a generous one and strictly adhered to. Withdrawals will not be processed after the last day to withdraw, unless there are extenuating circumstances for which the student must provide official documentation and follow the Withdrawal Due to Extenuating Circumstances Policy.

For students who withdraw by the withdrawal deadline, a “W” will be recorded on their transcript and will count as a course attempt, but will not be factored in to the GPA calculation. Any withdrawal may affect academic progress and may have financial aid or other monetary implications.  For more information on financial aid implications, see Financial Aid.

Students may withdraw by completing the Withdrawal Form, visiting the Student Information Center on either campus or by calling 1-800-818-3434 for assistance. Due to their accelerated format, the drop periods and withdrawal periods for the WinterSession, Minimesters, Summer sessions and Quick-Start terms are shorter.  Refer to the academic calendar for specific dates.

Students wishing to withdraw from course(s) have the responsibility to initiate the process as faculty cannot issue withdrawals.  Notifying the instructor or ceasing to attend class does NOT constitute official withdrawal. Failure to officially withdraw may result in an “F” grade.

Detailed withdrawal information for all sessions is available on the Student Accounts Office pages on the college website.

Withdrawal Due to Extenuating Circumstances


If a student is unable to complete courses during the current semester due to significant or extenuating circumstances beyond the student’s control, the student may be eligible for a full college withdrawal after the withdrawal deadline. Withdrawals of this nature will allow for the removal, or prevent the entry, of failing grades on the student’s transcript.  Requests for withdrawal due to extenuating circumstances are reviewed and approved by the Dean of Students or designee. A petition for a refund of tuition and fees can also be submitted for review and consideration by the Student Accounts Appeal Committee.  Any withdrawal may affect academic progress and may also have financial aid or other monetary implications. Veterans and International students are strongly encouraged to meet with their program certifying official before withdrawing to fully understand the financial implications of this process.

Auditing Courses


Students are allowed to audit a course with the permission of the instructor and according to the instructor’s conditions. Any change from “credit” to “audit” status or from “audit” to “credit” status must be made during the first month of classes during the fall and spring semesters. For summer sessions, WinterSession, and Minimesters any changes must be made during the first four class meetings. Full tuition and fees apply to audited courses. Students receive no credit for audited courses.

Repeated Courses


If a course is repeated, the highest grade earned in the course will become the official grade for the course, and the grade included in the cumulative grade point average. However, all courses will continue to be listed on the student’s transcript.

Course Repeat Policy:

If a student repeats a course the following rules will apply:

  • A student will be permitted a maximum of three attempts* for any one course;
  • A student may attempt a course two times without intervention;
  • A student may attempt a course a third time, once he/she has met with an academic advisor and has received written permission to enroll.

The student has the right to appeal the application of the Course Repeat Policy. To appeal the Course Repeat Policy, a student must follow the procedure outlined on the appeals form (there will be no exceptions):

  • The student will obtain and complete a Course Repeat Appeal form, which is available in the Student Information Centers;
  • Appeal requests must be submitted to the Associate Dean of Sudent Support Services Office at least two weeks prior to the start of the semester. Appeals submitted after that time will NOT be considered for that semester;
  • Once a decision has been made, the student will receive a written response.

When a course is repeated, credit is granted only once. The highest grade for a repeated course is used in computing a student’s grade point average. All attempts to take a course will be recorded on a student’s transcript, whatever the highest grade awarded may be.

Students are strongly encouraged to discuss with their academic advisor/counselor and financial aid officer the effect withdrawing or repeating a course may have on their academic programs and financial-aid eligibility.

*Attempts include currently enrolled courses, courses with a final grade awarded, transferred coursework, withdrawals, incompletes, an in-progress grade that has converted to an “F,” and courses repeated in an effort to earn higher grades. If a student drops the class during the add/drop period, this is not counted as an attempt.

Change of Major Program of Study


Once a Middlesex Community College student is admitted into a specific program or certificate program, the student has the option to change a program once per semester. Students interested in changing to a selective program should contact the Admissions Office (admissions@middlesex.mass.edu) to learn more about the admissions requirements and the application process. Please note that some selective programs have application deadlines.

In order to change a program, students must submit a completed and signed Change of Program Request form. Students are required to meet with and obtain the signature of an academic advisor to discuss career and educational goals. Students who receive Veterans benefits must also meet with a Veterans Certifying Official. It is strongly recommended that students on financial aid discuss program changes with the Financial Aid Office to better understand the impact on their financial aid. Change of Program requests forms can be obtained through the Student Information Centers or Student Information Center website.

    Change of Major Program of Study Degree Requirements and Application of Credits

  • Only completed courses that meet the requirements for the new major program of study, or courses that are acceptable electives in that major program of study, will be counted toward the total credits needed for completing the degree or certificate. 
  • Credits already earned and the cumulative grade point average will be retained on the student’s record.



Students are expected to attend all classes and laboratory sessions, except in cases of illness or other reasonable excuses. Instructors state their class attendance policy in the course syllabus, and students are accountable for the attendance policy as established for each course. Students should contact their instructors in case of emergency or illness resulting in extended absence or irregular attendance. They may also find it helpful to discuss their situation with a counselor.

Absence for Religious Reasons


Students who, due to religious beliefs, are unable to attend classes or to participate in any examination, study or work requirements on a particular day, shall be excused from any such examination or study or requirement, and shall be provided with an opportunity to make up such examination, study, or work requirement which he/she may have missed because of such absence on any particular day, provided however, that appropriate prior notice is provided to the instructor and that such makeup examination or work shall not create an unreasonable burden upon the school. No fees of any kind shall be charged by the institution for making available to said student such opportunity. No adverse or prejudicial effects shall result to any student for availing himself/herself of the provisions for an absence for religious reasons in accordance with Chapter 151 C Section 2B, General Laws of the commonwealth of Massachusetts.

Class Cancellations & Campus Emergencies


(Including Snow Days)

In the event of inclement weather or a campus emergency, students should access school-closing, class-cancellation and other important campus information by visiting the college website: www.middlesex.mass.edu.

A text message alert will be sent to the student’s active cell phone on record as part of the college emergeny text notification. 

School-closing and delayed-opening information will also be available from location television station and other media outlets.

Students may also contact the college directly at 781-280-3200 or 978-656-3200.  

In the case of a “delayed opening” announcement, the college will open at 9:30am . Under such circumstances, all classes normally scheduled to begin before 9:30am will not be held.

Individual class cancellations resulting from instructor absences are posted in classroom buildings and, when possible, online.


Credit Hour Policy


Middlesex Community College follows the Carnegie Unit for credit. Students are expected to spend a minimum of 45 hours of work for each credit. The most common breakdown for one credit is one hour of class instruction and two hours of homework for 15 weeks each semester. A three-credit course demands nine hours each week.

Credit Overload Policy


Students may take up to 18 credits per academic semester. Credits exceeding 18 (not including Winter session courses) require credit overload approval prior to registration. In order for this request to be approved, a student must have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher at the college. A student also has to demonstrative the ability to complete 15 or more credits successfully in a prior semester at the college with a GPA of 3.00 or higher without receiving grades of F, W, I, or IP.

Grading and Notation System


The following grading system is used by the college:

Grade Points Interpretation
A 4.00 93-100
A- 3.65 90-92
B+ 3.35 87-89
B 3.00 83-86
B- 2.65 80-82
C+ 2.35 77-79
C 2.00 73-76
C- 1.65* 70-72
D+ 1.35* 67-69
D 1.00* 63-66
D- 0.65* 60-62
F 0.00 Failure; does not count as course completion

Grade assigned to indicate the successful completion of a practicum in a clinical course; or other courses which utilize a pass/fail system




* Please note that the grades of “C-, D+, D, D-” and “F” earn quality points that are less than the minimum 2.00 grade point average GPA (less developmental credit) needed for graduation.


W Indicates withdrawal from a course
I Incomplete
IP Course in progress
COM Designation used in noncredit courses to indicate the completion of the course
AU Audit (no credit)


Incomplete Grades


The grade “I” or Incomplete is recorded when, for reasons beyond his/her control, the student misses a final examination or some part of the required coursework. No quality points are awarded for an Incomplete. All “I” grades must be removed by completing necessary course requirements within the following semester. After that period, remaining Incomplete grades will be converted to a grade of “F.” In unusual cases, an extension of this period may be granted through the instructor. Requests for extensions must be in writing.

In-Progress Grades


To receive the IP (“In-Progress”) grade for World Language Institute coursework, students must:

  • complete at least one-half of the course material;
  • demonstrate good attendance;
  • sign a contract with the instructor detailing the conditions and timeframe for full completion of the course.

Students with “IP” grades must complete the course in the semester following the one in which they began it, or receive an “F” grade, unless an extension has been granted by the instructor.

Computation of Grade Point Average


A grade point average (GPA) is a measure of the quality of academic performance. Middlesex Community College (MCC) will calculate two types of overall GPAs.

Cumulative GPA (less developmental credit)

A cumulative GPA (less developmental credit) will be used for measurement of academic performance on graded college-level courses taken at MCC.

The cumulative GPA (less developmental credit) is calculated by multiplying the quality point value of each grade by the number of semester hours designated for each college-level course, and dividing the total of these quality points by the total number of semester hours attempted. In computing the grade point average, only college-level coursework attempted at Middlesex Community College will be considered.

The cumulative GPA (less developmental credit) will be used in determining:  overall graduation GPA requirements; eligibility for graduation honors; eligibility for Phi Theta Kappa; eligibility for Dean’s List and Merit List; and eligibility for Fresh Start.

Cumulative GPA

A cumulative GPA will be used for measurement of academic performance on all courses (including developmental credit) taken at MCC.

The cumulative GPA is calculated by multiplying the quality point value of each grade by the number of semester hours designated for each course, and dividing the total of these quality points by the total number of semester hours attempted. In computing the grade point average, only coursework attempted at Middlesex Community College will be considered.

The cumulative GPA will be used in determining: Academic Standing and Satisfactory academic progress for financial aid eligibility.

Note: Noncredit classes are not recorded on a student’s transcript and grades are not calculated in a student’s GPA. Students in these courses may receive letter grades or be graded on the basis of Pass/No Pass.

Fresh Start


Middlesex is committed to helping students meet their academic, career and personal goals. Toward this end, an MCC Fresh Start is available to students who have attended Middlesex Community College in the past and were not academically successful, but have demonstrated success upon return to MCC.

 The MCC Fresh Start policy allows previously enrolled students an opportunity to establish a new academic record upon returning to the college. In such cases, a student’s entire academic record for the semesters he/she previously attended at MCC will be excluded from their grade point average calculation. All credit hours and grades will remain on the transcript. A notation of the MCC Fresh Start will also appear on the transcript.    

Any student who attended MCC in the past and has not been enrolled at the college for a period of three (3) years or longer, may file a written request for a Fresh Start with the Office of the Provost. This request should include an explanation of the circumstances that led to the student’s poor performance in the past, and a plan for how the student intends to be more successful going forward. A student may apply prior to completing any additional coursework, but the Fresh Start request will not be acted upon until a student has completed a minimum of 12 credits upon his or her return.  Please see Fresh Start Application information:

To be eligible for Fresh Start, a student must meet ALL of the following criteria:

a.     Be enrolled in a degree or certificate program at MCC;

b.     Has not been enrolled in academic courses at MCC for at least three (3) academic years prior to re-enrollment;

c.     Has a cumulative grade point average below 2.0 from MCC at the time of return;

d.     Has completed the Academic Fresh Start application prior to the completion of 24 credits upon their re-enrollment;

e.     Upon return, has completed a minimum of 12 credits, earning a grade of “C” or better in each subsequent college-level course. If approved, based on the criteria, the student’s transcript will reflect the Fresh Start;

f.      Has not previously been awarded a degree or certificate from MCC;

g.     A student is only eligible for “academic forgiveness” one time, and once approved, the decision cannot be reversed;

h.     If a student is granted an MCC Fresh Start his/her catalog term will be based on his/her date of re-enrollment.

The Dean’s and Merit List


Dean’s List

All students carrying 12 credit hours or more, who earn a 3.20 grade point average or higher in any semester, without “D, F, I” or “IP” grades, shall be acknowledged by inclusion on the Dean’s List, which is posted each semester. The notation is made on the permanent record of each student named.

Merit List

Students who are enrolled in at least 6 but less than 12 credits in a given semester, but otherwise have met the same performance level as those on the Dean’s List, are named to the Merit List. The Merit List has the same performance requirements as the Deans’ list. Students must have a GPA of at least 3.20 and no grade of “D”, F, I” or “IP.”  The Merit List notation is made on the permanent record of each student named.

Please note that developmental education course credit will not be calculated in determining total semester hour credit for Dean’s and Merit List eligibility. 

Mid-Semester Reports


At the mid-point of each semester, students who are performing at the “D” or “F” grade level, or are otherwise judged by their instructors to be in danger of failing a course, will be notified in writing. This notification will not become a part of the student’s permanent record at the college.

Graduation Requirements


Middlesex Community College associate degrees require completion of a minimum of 60 credits in specific coursework comprised of courses in the student’s area of concentration and a core curriculum of general education. Certificates require completion of specified coursework related to particular fields of employment and they can also serve as the basis for further higher education or professional studies. Most of the credits earned in certificate programs may be applied toward an associate degree in a related major program of study at Middlesex.

Students receive the Associate in Arts (AA) or Associate in Science (AS) degree, depending upon the major program of study completed when they have fulfilled the following requirements:

  1. Completion of at least 60 semester hours or the minimum number of semester hours and courses required by a specific major program of study and the core curriculum. Except in major programs of study specifying fewer courses, most students must present at least 20 courses of passing work.
  2. Achievement of a cumulative grade point (less developmental credit) average of at least 2.00.
  3. Minimum of 15 semester hours of coursework completed at this college.
  4. Minimum of 9 semester hours of coursework completed at this college in the field of specialization.
  5. Payment of all financial obligations.

Students receive certificates when they have fulfilled the following requirements:

  1. Completed the requirements of the certificate program in which enrolled.
  2. Minimum of 9 semester hours of coursework completed at this college.
  3. Achievement of a cumulative grade point (less developmental credit) average of at least 2.00.
  4. Payment of all financial obligations.

Graduation Honors


Candidates for the associate degree whose cumulative grade point average (less developmental credit) is at least 3.20-3.49 will be graduated with honors; those with a cumulative grade point average (less developmental credit) of 3.50-3.69 will be graduated with high honors; those with a cumulative grade point average (less developmental credit) of 3.70-4.00 will be graduated with highest honors. To be eligible for graduation honors, students must earn a minimum of 35 credit hours at Middlesex.

Graduation Ceremony


Graduates are awarded on a semester basis (Fall, Spring and Summer). The Graduation Ceremony is based on the graduation year which encompasses the Fall, Spring and Summer semesters. (i.e. 2018 graduates are graduates from the Fall 2017, Spring 2018 and Summer 2018 semesters). Students are allowed to walk at graduation if they are within 8 credits or two courses of completing their programs by end of the Summer semester of their graduation year.

MCC Engaged Scholars


Engaged Scholars are graduating Middlesex students who, as part of their academic coursework, have demonstrated a significant commitment and contribution to the community. MCC Engaged Scholars have distinguished themselves by their ability to think critically about social issues, and create meaningful social change. With this honor, MCC recognizes that these students have applied their skills, knowledge and research to address real social issues, and have collaborated with local agencies and area organizations to address the critical problems and needs our communities face. In order to be considered for this honor, students must have completed a minimum of 57 hours of service in college-designated service-learning or civic-engagement-based courses over three or more semesters, and received exemplary evaluations by community partners. For further information, contact MCC’s Center for Leadership & Engagement at 978-656-3159 or 781-280-3556.

Phi Theta Kappa National Honor Society Membership


Each semester the Alpha Delta Omicron chapter of Phi Theta Kappa, the national honor society for two-year colleges, initiates students who have earned a 3.50 or higher cumulative GPA (less developmental credit). To be considered for induction, students must have earned 12 credits of college-level coursework at the college by the end of the prior semester.

Second and Dual Degree Status


To receive a second associate degree from Middlesex Community College, after completion of the initial degree program, students must complete a minimum of 15 additional semester hours of credit at the college beyond the credits used to satisfy the requirements of the first associate degree. The Liberal Studies program may NOT be the second degree under this option.

In addition to the minimum 15 semester hours requirement, students must meet all specific degree requirements of the major program of study for which the second degree is sought. Therefore, in some cases, the requirements for the second associate degree will exceed 15 additional semester hours of study.

Career program students who wish to graduate in two major programs of study, but who do not intend to continue after graduation from MCC to study for a second degree, may apply for dual program (double major) status. Such students must fulfill all degree requirements for both major programs of study, which may require the completion of more than 60 credits. The Liberal Studies program may NOT be used as one of the two degree programs.

Academic Standing Policy


Middlesex Community College is committed to the academic success of its students. This Academic Standing Policy is designed to ensure that students make adequate progress toward a degree. Students are expected to be in Good Academic Standing to continue at the college. A student’s academic standing is determined by the cumulative grade point average (GPA) required to meet academic standards based on the student’s credit count of courses successfully completed at Middlesex Community College.

Credits Hours Toward


Good Standing

Cumulative GPA

Academic Warning Cumulative GPA

Academic Probation

Cumulative GPA

 Fewer than 17 credits


   Below 2.0


 17-34 credits


   1.8 or greater and below 2.0

   Below 1.80

 More than 34 credits



   Below 2.0

 *Credits Hours toward GPA include all letter grades (“A” through “F”)

o The federal government has established regulations regarding satisfactory academic progress and eligibility for Financial Aid. These standards are separate from the college’s policy on academic standing and probation. See Financial Aid for information about financial aid eligibility. 

o Students in selective programs may need to meet additional program requirements to be considered in good academic standing. Refer to the program policies for specific information.

Good Standing


Students with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above are considered in Good Academic Standing.

Academic Warning


A student receives an Academic Warning when his/her cumulative GPA falls below a 2.0, but above the probationary level, as shown in the table above. Students who receive an Academic Warning will be notified in writing by the college, will be expected to take steps to improve their academic standing, and are required to participate in one or more college-mandated intervention programs designed to assist students in achieving academic success. Students are encouraged to meet with an academic advisor to determine appropriate course selections and resources available to develop strategies for a successful semester.

Academic Probation


A student is placed on Academic Probation if his/her cumulative GPA (CGPA) falls below the designated Probation threshold associated with the credit hours, as listed in the table above. Students have two consecutively enrolled (this is defined as NOT including summer) semesters of attendance to raise their CGPA to a level above Probation. A student who does not raise his/her CGPA to a level above Academic Probation within two consecutively enrolled semesters of attendance will be suspended for one semester. Students on Academic Probation will be notified in writing by the college and are required to participate in one or more college-mandated intervention programs designed to assist students in achieving academic success.

Academic Suspension


A student who does not raise his/her CGPA above the Academic Probation level after two semesters of attendance will be suspended for one semester. Students will be notified in writing by the college and may request that the college reconsider their suspension using the Academic Appeals procedure below. After one semester of not attending the college, or as a result of an approved appeal, a student may return and will be considered on Academic Probation. Students returning from suspension will have an additional two semesters of attendance to bring their CGPA to Good Standing or they will be suspended for a period of one semester.

Academic Appeals/Returning to MCC


Students who are suspended from MCC may appeal the suspension through the Office of the Provost/Vice President for Academic & Student Affairs; or, after not attending Middlesex for a minimum period of one semester (semesters are defined as Spring and Fall only), may be readmitted to the college. Students returning to the college after suspension, or as a result of their appeal being granted, will be considered  on Academic Probation upon return and are required to raise their CGPA to Good Standing in the next two semesters of attendance. Students who return to the college but do not successfully raise their CGPA to a 2.0 or better within two semesters of attendance will be suspended for a period of one semester. Students may also be required to participate in one or more college-mandated intervention programs designed to assist students in achieving academic success.


Student Completion Rates


Students enter community colleges with a variety of academic, career and personal goals.

Many enroll at the college planning to complete a degree or certificate program. Others are more directly interested in improving their basic academic skills, mastering specific job skills, preparing to transfer to a bachelor’s degree-granting institution or learning about topics of personal interest. In addition, community college students often must balance a variety of competing responsibilities, such as family, work and school, which make it difficult for many of them to enroll full time every semester.

  In fall 2014, 1,108 new, full-time students enrolled at Middlesex Community College. Nineteen percent graduated in three years or less, and an additional 21% transferred to another institution.



Advising Schedules Contain Updated Course Information


To supplement the Academic Catalog, an online Advising Schedule is published in advance of the fall, spring and summer semesters. It contains the most current official information on Middlesex course listings, class sections, hours and locations. The online Advising Schedule is available on the college website at https://www.middlesex.mass.edu/registration.

Health Programs Progression and Readmission


Students in MCC Health programs must demonstrate a satisfactory level of performance in clinical settings. Students may be withdrawn from the clinical area at any time during the semester for illness, inappropriate behavior, unsatisfactory performance, or unsafe practices. Because the clinical components are essential to these programs, students who are withdrawn for reasons other than a temporary health problem are also subject to dismissal from the program.

Satisfactory completion of all courses in a given semester is required in order to progress to the next semester in all Health programs. To satisfactorily complete a semester in a Health program, students must not only demonstrate a satisfactory level of performance in clinical settings, but also earn a grade of “C” or better in all courses within the area of specialization. These courses are designated with a three letter code for the major. (For example, NUR for Nursing and SON for Diagnostic Medical Sonography). In addition, students in the Dental Hygiene, Nursing and Radiological Technology programs must earn a grade of “C” or better in required science courses. If a student fails to meet these requirements, the student is not eligible to continue in the program and shall be dismissed upon written notification from the Program Coordinator, Department Chair, or Director who leads the program.  The notification of dismissal shall also include information about the Nursing and Allied Health Programs’ Student Readmission process and applicable timelines.

Decisions on a student’s readmission to a Health program are made by the Nursing and Allied Health Programs’ Student Review Committee. Each semester, the Committee reviews the readmission requests of students who have withdrawn from or failed a course(s) in a Health program. The Committee makes the decision on readmission to the Health programs based on space availability, the student’s academic progress, and/or suitability for the profession. The Nursing and Allied Health Programs’ Student Review Committee has college-wide representation and is chaired by the Dean of Nursing andAllied. The Committee’s membership includes a representative of each of the Health programs, and at least one representative from each of the following areas: enrollment, admissions, student affairs and academic affairs.

Educational Records & Transcripts 





Privacy rights regarding access to information are observed in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, commonly known as the Buckley Amendment.

In accordance with the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (Section 438 of the General Education Provisions Act 20 USC 1232),  Middlesex Community College has adopted the regulations given below to protect the privacy rights of its students. Revisions and clarifications will be published as experience with the law and the institution’s policy warrants.

Students are informed of their rights under this act through the College Catalog and the Student Handbook. In compliance with this federal law, the college has established a policy to protect students from misuse of information in their personal folders and to allow students access to their own folders. The policy is summarized as follows:

Location of Educational Records


Most educational records are kept in the Office of Records and Registration. Other offices may maintain informal or unofficial records. Inquiries concerning those records should be made in writing to the Registrar. For information on how to request your transcript, see Transfer Information 

Disclosure of Information from Records


Directory Information - The college, unless requested not to do so by the student, will release directory information about individual students to anyone who inquires. “Directory Information” is limited to name, address, date of enrollment, date of graduation, degree received, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of athletic team members, and official college honors such as Dean’s and Merit Lists. Students who do not wish to have directory information released must complete a “Request to Prevent Disclosure of Directory Information” form in the Student Information Centers. In no case will the college release a list of all students or groups of students to non-college personnel except when required by State or Federal law, such as releasing information to the U.S. military for recruiting purposes and abiding by the Massachusetts Public Access Record law for release of Directory Information.

Non-Directory Information - No information, other than that contained in the directory (as outlined above), will be released without a student’s written consent except when prior written consent is not required by the Act.  The college must disclose educational records without written consent of students to those federal and state government agencies and officials provided by law. The college must also provide the access of education records to:

a. Personnel within the college determined by the college to have legitimate educational interest. “Legitimate Education Interest” is defined as the demonstrated need to know by those college officials who act in the student’s education, professional employees and other persons who manage student record information.

b. Officials of other institutions in which a student seeks to enroll on condition that the issuing institution attempts to inform students of the disclosure, or makes such a transfer of information a stated institutional policy. (This notification is to be considered as such.)

c. Organizations contributing to a student’s financial aid, or determining financial-aid decisions concerning eligibility, amount, condition and enforcement of terms of said aid.

d. Organizations conducting studies to develop, validate and administer predictive tests, to administer student aid programs or to improve instruction.

e. Accrediting organizations carrying out their functions.

f. Parents of a student who have established that student’s status as a dependent according to the Internal Revenue Code. (Parent(s) must provide a certified copy of the appropriate federal income tax form.)

g. Persons in compliance with a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena, provided the college makes an attempt to notify the student unless otherwise specified in the order or subpoena. (The student will be notified in writing by the Registrar that a subpoena has been issued unless otherwise specified.)

h. Persons in an emergency, if the knowledge of information, in fact, is necessary to protect the health and safety of student(s) or other persons.

i. To a victim of an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or a non-forcible sex offense. The disclosure may only include the final results of the disciplinary proceeding with respect to that alleged crime or offense, regardless of the finding.

j. To the general public, the final results of a disciplinary proceeding if the school determines the student is an alleged perpetrator of a crime of violence or non-forcible sex offense and the student has committed a violation of the school’s rules or policies with respect to the allegation made against him or her.

k. To parents of a student regarding the student’s violation of any Federal, State, or local law, or of any rule or policy of the school, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance if the school determines the student committed a disciplinary violation and the student is under the age of 21.

Note: Information concerning applicants to the college who have not yet enrolled will not be released to anyone, with the exception of a judicial order or lawfully issued subpoena.

Inspection and Review of Records


Students may inspect and review their educational records upon request to the Registrar. As of January 1975, students have the right to examine their own files. There are however, limitations that do exist on students’ rights to inspect and review these records. The college does reserve the right to deny students access to confidential letters and recommendations placed in their files prior to January 1975, confidential letters and recommendations associated with admission, employment or job placement, or honors to which students have waived rights of inspection and records containing information about more than one student. (In such cases, the college must permit access to that part of the record which pertains only to the inquiring student.)

Challenge of Records


Students have the right to challenge records they believe to be inaccurate, incomplete or incorrectly disseminated. If the outcome of the challenge is unsatisfactory, the student has the right to a hearing. And if the outcome of the hearing is unsatisfactory, the student may submit an explanatory statement for inclusion in the education record. Such a statement shall become part of the information contained in the educational record and will be disclosed with it.

Changing Biographical Data


The following process is followed when any student seeks to change his or her biographical data as provided and maintained in College records.


Legal Name - A student’s legal name shall be used on all College documents, systems and communications external to the College and/or where a legal name is required.  Examples include, but are not limited to: 

  • Financial Aid records;
  • Student Accounts records;
  • Student Personally Identifiable Information;
  • Student Directory information;
  • Payroll records;
  • Health records;
  • Official transcripts;
  • Federal immigration documents; and
  • Interactions with government agencies.

In order for any student to change their legal name on College records, a student must present a certified copy of a court order or other legal document indicating a legal name change has been granted.

Preferred First Name - The College recognizes that some students may prefer to use a first name other than their legal name to identify themselves.  As long as the use of a preferred first name is not for an improper purpose, the College acknowledges that a preferred first name can and should be used where possible in the course of College business and education.  Students may use a preferred first name wherever a legal name is not required on internal documents, communications, systems, and web portals.  Examples include, but are not limited to: 

  • Student identification cards;
  • Email and calendar entries;
  • Class rosters and advisor lists;
  • Learning Management Systems; and
  • Diplomas, awards, and recognitions.


To request a preferred first name, a student can input his/her preferred name directly through the My Personal Information link or should complete the Preferred First Name Change Form available in the Registrar’s Office or from the Dean of Student’s Office.

Sex Designation - In order for any student to change their sex designation in official College records, a student must provide a certified copy of a court order, or other legal identification, such as a Massachusetts driver’s license, reflecting the change in sex. 

Records of Requests and Disclosures


The college will maintain records of requests and disclosures of non-directory information. The records of requests shall include the names and addresses of the person(s) who requested the information and their legitimate interests in the information. Records of requests and disclosures need not be maintained for:

  1. those requests made by students for their own use.
  2. those disclosures made in response to written requests from students.
  3. those made by school officials.
  4. those specified as Directory Information.

The records of disclosures and requests for disclosures are considered a part of the students’ education records; therefore, they must be retained as long as the education records to which they refer are retained by the college.

Right of Complaint


Students who believe that the college is not complying with the requirements of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) or the regulations issued by the Department of Education implementing that Act may file complaints in writing to:

U.S. Department of Education
400 Maryland Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20202-5920

Copies of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act as amended are available in the Office of Records and Registration.