Middlesex Community College Academic Catalog 2018-19 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Health Care Administration
Associate in Science
The Health Care Administration is designed to meet the needs of current healthcare employees who desire career ladder advancement into management within a medical practice or healthcare facility. The program offers a comprehensive curriculum in healthcare finance, sound managerial practices and procedures, and operations of the healthcare industry. The degree prepares graduates for employment in a wide variety of health care administration positions such as practice supervisor, medical office coordinator, health services managers, etc. Students who complete this degree can continue their education in a Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration or other similar BS degrees.
Career and Transfer Outlook:
The research, conducted in conjunction with MCC Institutional Research, uncovered a strong demand for educated and experienced healthcare administration professionals. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of medical and health services managers is projected to grow 23 percent through 2022. On July 22, 2015, 406 jobs were available in our service area for positions classified at Junior (0-2 year education), Office and Administrative Support Occupations; Medical/Health. Graduates of the program will be qualified for employment as community health managers, health services managers, practice supervisors, long-term care supervisors, medical administrative assistants, scheduling coordinators, practice representatives, senior administrative associates, medical office coordinators, patient account representatives, transcription coordinators, etc.
This program is an option for any student following either the Business Pathway or the Healthcare Pathway.
Some of the courses are available online, and some courses are offered in a 9 week schedule format. These courses coordinate with the other traditional 15 week course schedule.
Student Learning Outcomes for the Health Care Administration Program:
At the completion of the program, the student will be able to:
* Demonstrate comprehensive professional knowledge of health care management, including flow of work in a health care environment, marketing, finance, insurance, human resource management and regulations.
* Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively by being aware of the physical, emotional, cultural, and economic factors impacting the health care field.
* Demonstrate knowledge of economic and financial principles through monitoring and utilization of financial and economic data for decision making and strategic planning.
* Propose recommendations to improve the effectiveness and integration of information management systems at the various levels of healthcare organizations to achieve organizational goals.
* Demonstrate an awareness of ethical business behavior in health care environments.