Middlesex Community College Academic Catalog 2018-19 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Life Science Transfer
Associate in Arts, Liberal Arts and Sciences
Bedford and Lowell Campus - Day
Students in the Life Science Concentration Associate in Arts in Liberal Arts and Sciences degree program pursue interests in the biological sciences, while exploring other academic disciplines through the general education requirements of a liberal arts education. The program qualifies for MassTransfer , which guarantees credit transfer to Massachusetts state universities and the University of Massachusetts.
Career and Transfer Outlook:
Most students in the Life Science Concentration continue their studies toward a bachelor’s degree. Students should check the requirements of the transfer institution and meet with career and academic/transfer counselors at MCC for specific program planning. Students may pursue various careers in biology, biomedical, environmental sciences, teaching or health-related professions.
Students should begin their Middlesex experience by taking the foundation-level courses (English and mathematics) prior to, or along with, their science courses. Writing and mathematics are fundamental to every subsequent course that students experience in a Liberal Arts and Sciences program.
Graduates of the Life Science Concentration program will achieve the learning outcomes of the Liberal Arts and Sciences degree. Additionally, graduates are prepared to:
- Use their scientific educational experiences to provide a solid foundation for further study of the sciences;
- Convey scientific information through written, oral, numerical or visual communication;
- Demonstrate investigative skills that underlie the scientific method;
- Gather and interpret information about the natural world;
- Evaluate and discuss societal issues impacted by science.