Middlesex Community College Academic Catalog 2018-19 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Dental Laboratory Technology
Associate in Science
Lowell Campus - Day, Starts Fall Semester Only
The Dental Laboratory Technology Associate in Science degree program offers a curriculum composed of didactic, internship and laboratory experience, with courses in dental materials, oral anatomy, occlusion and issues in dental laboratory technology, as well as study of infectious diseases. The extensive laboratory component, which requires 1,000 hours, covers all phases of dental technology: partial dentures, complete dentures, crown and bridge, ceramics and orthodontics. As a result of this experience, students acquire skills in waxing, gypsum, design, fit and finish, as they pertain to all the major areas of dental technology. The program trains technicians in the category of generalist as defined by the Commission on Dental Accreditation to maintain approval status granted by the Commission. The general education aspect of the curriculum includes content in communications skills, mathematics, chemistry, physics, business principles and computers.
Accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association.
Career and Transfer Outlook:
Students find career opportunities in dental laboratories, dental schools and dental offices throughout New England. Most general education credits transfer to other colleges.
To be successful in this program, students should be able to work with small hand-tools on various dental materials with precision and accuracy.
Graduates of the Dental Laboratory Technology program are prepared to:
- Demonstrate competence in the fabrications of removable and fixed prostheses;
- Perform all related procedures at a commercial level;
- Practice within the legal and ethical framework of the profession;
- Use appropriate oral and written communication in all professional interactions.
Admission to Dental Laboratory Technology
- Admission Application
- Dental Laboratory Technology Requirement Certification Form
- Preference may be given to Massachusetts residents.
- Students applying to Dental Laboratory Technology are required to have a minimum cumulative 2.0 GPA.
- Recommended deadline for application and all other requirements is March 1. Applications may be submitted after this date and will be considered on a space-available basis.
Requirements After Admission:
- Students must submit the Student Health Record form, provided by Middlesex Community College, to the Center for Health & Wellness. Required documentation of health status includes a completed physical examination, a two-step Mantoux (TB/PPD) skin test or blood test (T-Spot or Quantiferon Gold) for tuberculosis, a color deficiency test, proof of immunization against Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Hepatitis B, Varicella, and one lifetime dose of TDAP (Tetanus/Diphtheria/Acellular Pertussis - after 2006).
Standard/Technical Skills Notice: To view a list of standard and/or technical skills required for performing duties in various health career fields, visit the Middlesex Community College Health Division website (www.middlesex.mass.edu) or the Student Information Centers. These skills are not conditions for admission to MCC programs, but do indicate abilities and characteristics necessary for successful completion of college Health programs, and to perform the duties of the career upon graduation.