Middlesex Community College Academic Catalog 2018-19 [ARCHIVED CATALOG]
Computer Science Transfer
Associate in Science
The Computer Science Transfer Associate in Science degree program provides the technical and general education courses necessary for transfer to bachelor’s degree programs in computer science or related disciplines. Programming knowledge and training in problem solving and analysis is stressed. This program qualifies for MassTransfer , which guarantees credit transfer to Massachusetts state universities and the University of Massachusetts.
A considerable amount of hands-on computer experience is incorporated into the curriculum. Academic advisors work closely with students to assist them with course planning in accordance with their intended baccalaureate major and transfer institution.
Career and Transfer Outlook:
Career opportunities are open to students who transfer to a baccalaureate degree-granting institution and complete a bachelor’s degree. Upon completion of a baccalaureate degree, students in computer science qualify for positions such as: software engineer, programmer, applications programmer, systems programmer, systems analyst, software developer, game developer, and quality assurance engineer.
Students should plan on taking mathematics courses immediately and continue taking math courses until all math requirements are fulfilled. A few Computer Science courses are offered only in the Fall or only in the Spring, and a few are offered only in Bedford. Students should work closely with their academic advisors to plan to take courses when and where they are offered.
Graduates of the Computer Science Transfer program are prepared to:
- Apply fundamental concepts of programming languages and software development to solve a diverse array of problems and recognize these concepts in different languages;
- Communicate clearly, accurately and succinctly through written and verbal means;
- Work effectively with others to design, develop, evaluate and present solutions to business and software engineering problems;
- Analyze a problem, gather appropriate data, and use logic to solve, predict and analyze results for relevance, accuracy and consistency;
- Recognize solution patterns of common problems and apply them to new challenges