HUM 126 - Cambodia Experience
Course Description: This course will focus on the culture and history of Cambodia within a social/political/economic context and includes a travel study-service learning experience. Students will spend time in the capital city Phnom Penh and travel to ancient sites. To prepare for the cultural and social experience of traveling and studying in these two cities and their environs, students will participate in classes that introduce the rich culture, history and language of Cambodia. As with all International studies programs at MCC, students are expected to share what they have learned with the college community upon completion of the course.
ISLOs: This course supports student development of Multicultural/Global Literacy, Critical Thinking, Personal and Professional Development, and Written and Oral Communication.
Prerequisite(s): Completion of 12 credits in a degree program at MCC.
General Education Elective(s): Humanities, Social Science, or Behavioral Science Elective.
Note(s): This course has been approved to meet the Core Curriculum General Education requirement
Course Student Learning Outcomes:
- Summarize the history and social structures and institutions of Cambodia
- Analyze the political struggle of Cambodia and SE Asia through revolutions, reactions and political realities
- Describe Cambodia’s economic and cultural development and evaluate its development in comparison to other contemporary Asian countries
- Examine and compare Cambodia’s environmental and cultural preservation strategies with those of other countries through discussion and experiential service learning
- Analyze cultural and social change in Cambodia, paying particular attention to the contemporary
- Write reflective analysis for e-portfolios that employ print and visual sources to explore and identify the social consequences of Cambodia’s commitment to cultural preservation and environmental sustainability and its emergence into the global economy
Click here for course schedule details, to register for this course, or to view required books for this course.