MAT 120 - Math For Liberal Arts
Course Description: This course satisfies the Middlesex Community College graduation requirement for the Liberal Arts and Sciences Program. Mathematical modeling and problem solving strategies will apply to everyday life. Topics will be drawn from areas such as: collecting, describing and analyzing data; probability and decision-making; loans and investments; population growth; linear programming; and geometry of measurement.
ISLOs: This course supports student development of Critical Thinking, Quantitative Literacy, and Personal and Professional Development.
Prerequisite(s): Eligible for ENG 101; placement above or completion of MAT 080 with a C or better, or completion of Math Modules 12, 73, or 82.
General Education Elective(s): Math all programs
Note(s): A TI - 83+ or 84+ graphing calculator is required.
This course has been approved to meet the Core Curriculum General Education requirement.
Course Student Learning Outcomes:
- Interpret the results of a variety of voting and apportionment methods
- Analyze relevant financial scenarios involving loans, credit cards, mortgages, savings, and taxes.
- Apply the five-step statistical method when conducting a statistical study
- Work together with peers in collaborative groups to solve a variety of mathematical problems.
- Use the appropriate technology for problem solving
Click here for course schedule details, to register for this course, or to view required books for this course.