Associate in Science
The Fashion Merchandising Associate in Science degree program prepares students for a wide variety of careers in fashion merchandising and fashion retailing. The degree provides students with a strong business education designed specifically for careers in the world of fashion. The required Cooperative Field Placement gives students on-the-job experience in this growing, many-faceted career field. In addition to retail, buying and merchandising courses, students are exposed to a variety of general education courses designed to strengthen their overall educational experience.
Career and Transfer Outlook:
Graduates are prepared for entry-level careers as assistants or trainees in a variety of departments in retail, wholesale, sales or manufacturing organizations. Some students’ career pursuits may include department sales and management, buying, marketing, merchandising and styling. Although not primarily intended as a transfer degree, some students do continue on to a bachelor’s degree program.
Students are encouraged to begin taking courses aimed at completing their English and math requirements immediately upon entering the college. Also, students who place into reading courses on the college placement test should complete that requirement without delay. The Fashion courses are offered only during the day.
Graduates of the Fashion Merchandising program are prepared to:
- Use industry-specific knowledge relevant to the operation of fashion merchandising organizations and demonstrate the ability to apply business principles to this industry;
- Use critical thinking skills to appraise and evaluate the business practices of various major fashion merchandising chains;
- Describe how various cultural differences must be considered in the practice of fashion marketing and operations, both locally and globally;
- Communicate effectively using written, oral and nonverbal techniques, including the use of technology in the gathering and presentation of information;
- Demonstrate a grasp of the complexities of ethical issues in business, and in particular the field of fashion merchandising;
- Comprehend the rapid change taking place in the business environment and demonstrate an ability to engage in ongoing professional development.