Middlesex Community College Academic Catalog 2017-18
Hospitality Management - Culinary Arts
Associate in Science in Business Administration
The Hospitality Management - Culinary Arts Associate in Science in Business Administration program is designed to prepare students for careers in the many specialized areas of the food and beverage industry. It provides students with valuable practical experience in culinary courses held at a state-of-the-art culinary facility. The program offers cooperative field experience opportunities to work in the restaurant industry to practice skills, gain experience and investigate career pathways. It is appropriate for individuals with or without experience in the restaurant industry.
Career and Transfer Outlook:
Graduates of the program who plan to seek employment in the field upon completion of their requirements should find a vibrant job market. The Northeast Regional Competitiveness Council, a collaborative workforce initiative of business, industry, education and government leaders, ranks the hospitality and tourism industry within the top three employment trade clusters in the state.
Specific culinary-arts practical courses are held in Lowell at the UTEC Community Kitchen, located at 15 - 17 Warren Street.
Graduates of the Hospitality Management - Culinary Arts program are prepared to
- Demonstrate knowledge of appropriate culinary skills in a variety of settings, including, but not limited to, fine dining, medium- or high-volume restaurants, hotels, assisted-living facilities, function facilities, etc.;
- Communicate effectively using written, oral and nonverbal techniques, including the use of technology in the gathering and presenting of information;
- Interpret and analyze information in order to engage in critical thinking and problem solving with regard to the performance of culinary operations;
- Comprehend how various cultural differences impact the culinary industry from a local, regional, national and international perspective;
- Work in teams and recognize the meaning of mutual responsibility, so they are prepared to join the diverse workforce of the culinary industry;
- Comprehend the rapid change taking place in the culinary industry and will demonstrate an ability to engage in ongoing professional development.