Associate in Arts, Liberal Arts and Sciences
Bedford Campus and Lowell Campus - Day and Evening NOTE: Honors Courses - Days in Lowell
The Global Studies Associate in Arts, Liberal Arts and Sciences degree program will prepare students for transfer into bachelor’s degree programs in Global, International, or Peace Studies or any one of a number of Social Science and related disciplines such as History, Political Science, Public Policy, and International Business. This is an interdisciplinary program of study that examines social, cultural, environmental and political issues within a world historical context. The program challenges students to critically evaluate the commonalities and differences within various cultural and social frameworks, and looks at relationships between national and international systems that influence the world community.
Career and Transfer Outlook:
The Global Studies Concentration is a well-rounded education program that provides students with great flexibility in their educational and career choices. Most students in the Global Studies Concentration will continue their studies toward a bachelor’s degree program in Global, International, or Peace Studies or any one of a number of Social Science and related disciplines such as History, Political Science, Public Policy, or International Business. This program qualifies for MassTransfer, which guarantees credit transfer to Massachusetts state colleges and the University of Massachusetts. The program is particularly well aligned with related programs at UMass Lowell. Eventual career paths and employment positions can be found in international relations, diplomacy, foreign service, international business, law, education, politics and public policy and with organizations and international institutions involved with for-profit activities as well as civic and humanitarian operations and causes.
Many bachelor’s degree programs require a world language sequence. These can be done either before or after transfer. B.A. programs at UMass Lowell require a four semester language sequence in any one world language. Since not all world languages offered at MCC are also offered at UMass Lowell, students that start a language sequence at MCC should plan ahead for how they will complete the sequence. B.L.A. programs at UMass Lowell do not require a language sequence.
Graduates of the Global Studies Concentration program will achieve the learning outcomes of the Liberal Arts and Sciences degree. Additionally, graduates are prepared to:
- Develop an awareness of and engagement with contemporary and historical issues and events in the world beyond the scope and interests of their own region and country.
- Acquire a broad knowledge of history, economics, government, world cultures, and international organizations and institutions.
- Demonstrate a disposition and capacity to think critically about social, cultural, environmental and political issues and trends from multiple perspectives within a historical and global context.
- Effectively articulate creative solutions for complex problems that face human society and civilization.
- Demonstrate the ability to engage in research and investigation in Social Science and Global Studies fields to a degree that will allow them to pursue their higher education and career goals.
- Apply Global Studies and Social Science values and perspectives to socially and civically responsible engagement with the college and wider community.
- Develop personally and professionally through the use of knowledge and skills gained in program coursework.