Associate in Science
Bedford Campus - Evening and Lowell Campus - Day and Evening
The Biotechnology Technician Associate in Science degree program provides the education and training in the skills required for entry-level employment for technicians in biotechnology manufacturing, research, media preparation, validation, quality control, documentation and process operations. Some students who complete this program continue their studies toward a bachelor’s degree and advanced degrees in biotechnology.
Career and Transfer Outlook:
Graduates of this program work in various departments and roles within the biotechnology industry. Some of the positions that MCC graduates have held include lab technician, cell culture technician, research technician, microbiology technician, chemistry associate, process operator, quality assurance manager and supervisors in various departments.
Students must complete the courses in the certificate program before taking courses that are specific to the associate degree program. All students should take the required English and mathematics courses early in the program. Writing and mathematics are fundamental to every subsequent course in the associate degree program.
Graduates of the Biotechnology Technician are prepared to:
- Follow standard operating procedure (SOP);
- Follow safety procedures and use laboratory equipment properly;
- Follow Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP);
- Maintain sterilized equipment and a clean environment;
- Use computers to gather and process data, and use computerized instrumentation;
- Exhibit appropriate workplace behaviors including teamwork, time management, effective communication and presentation skills, and integrity in their work.
- Perform cell culture and use bioreactors for fermentation;
- Prepare solutions, buffers and media;
- Perform sterile techniques;
- Perform protein purification;
- Perform ELISA using monoclonal antibodies;
- Perform gel electrophoresis;
- Perform Western and Southern blot transfers;
- Perform identification of unknown bacteria.