AHP 112 - Soft Skills for Healthcare Students
Course Description: This course introduces a variety of techniques to improve professionalism in a healthcare setting. Students will learn soft skills necessary for their healthcare career pathway including: working with others, communication skills, legal and ethical responsibilities, cultural considerations in the healthcare industry, problem solving, decision making, accepting personal responsibility and self-management.
Topics include: job skills and demands including problem solving skills, medical ethics and liability, ethical and legal responsibilities, professionalism and employability skills, cultural awareness and diversity in health care and essential concepts relating to being human. Lecture: 2 hours per week for 9 weeks.
Course Student Learning Outcomes:
- Demonstrate professionalism.
- Demonstrate various ways to communicate effectively.
- Demonstrate various methods of conflict resolution.
- Examine the importance self-care.
- Demonstrate skills needed for cultural competency.
- Demonstrate skills needed for stress management.
Click here for course schedule details, to register for this course, or to view required books for this course.