ENG 093 - Reading, Writing, and Reasoning Follow-Up
Course Description: Reading, Writing, and Reasoning Follow-Up continues preparation in English for success in college. The course offers instruction in college-level reading and writing assignments to improve reading comprehension and writing fluency. Instructors will tailor individual, group, and class learning plans to promote student success. Those who complete the course with a C or better may take the final exam. At the final exam, students must demonstrate the ability to read, write, and reason at a college-level to be able to move into the next level course: ENG101 or ENG101 with ENG099. Credits earned in this course will not apply to MCC degree or certificate programs.
Prerequisite(s): Completion of ENG 088, ENG 089, or ENG 092 with a C- or higher.
General Education Elective(s): Humanities
Note(s): For students receiving a C- in ENG 092 in lieu of repeating ENG 092 (6 credits)
Course Student Learning Outcomes:
- Draw on a range of reading strategies to monitor the reading process and distill meaning from complex texts.
- Continue to demonstrate comprehension and reflective reading skills, as well as the ability to annotate a text.
- Notice miscues that interfere with meaning and interpretation and have learned to request help if needed.
- Effectively use and apply a pre-writing plan that includes drafting, rewriting, instructor and peer feedback and revising, producing essays with thesis statements and unified paragraphs.
- Demonstrate ability to quote, paraphrase, synthesize source material, and document appropriately to maintain academic integrity.
- Write clear, grammatically correct sentences.
Click here for course schedule details, to register for this course, or to view required books for this course.