HUM 129 - Costa Rica Experience
Course Description: This course will focus on the culture and environment of Costa Rica and includes a travel study-service learning experience. Students will spend time in the capital city San Pedro, and also engage in service learning activities such as reforestation projects and turtle protection efforts. To prepare for the environmental, cultural, and social experience of traveling and studying in Costa Rica, students will participate in classes that introduce the rich culture, history, environment, and Spanish language of Costa Rica. As with all International studies programs at MCC, students are expected to share what they have learned with the college community upon completion of the course.
ISLOs: This course supports student development of Multicultural/Global Literacy, Critical Thinking, Personal and Professional Development, and Written and Oral Communication.
Prerequisite(s): Completion of 12 credits in a degree program at MCC.
General Education Elective(s): Humanities, Social Science, or Behavioral Science
Note(s): This course has been approved to meet the Core Curriculum General Education requirement.
Course Student Learning Outcomes:
- Summarize the history and social structures and institutions of Costa Rica
- Analyze the political struggles of Costa Rica
- Describe Costa Rica’s economic and cultural development and evaluate its development in comparison to other contemporary Latin American countries
- Examine and compare Costa Rica’s environmental and cultural preservation strategies with those of other countries through discussion and experiential service learning
- Analyze cultural and social change in Costa Rica, paying particular attention to the contemporary
- Write reflective analysis for e-portfolios that employ print and visual sources to explore and identify the social consequences of Costa Rica’s commitment to cultural preservation and environmental sustainability and its emergence into the global economy
Click here for course schedule details, to register for this course, or to view required books for this course.