SON 222 - Clinical Practicum IV
Course Description: A continuation of SON 221 in which the student will continue to apply the didactic and clinical knowledge acquired in the previous courses. Clinical instruction and practice will be provided with emphasis upon identification of abnormal anatomical and sonographic appearances of the fetus in second and third trimester. Practice will continue in acquiring the measurement parameters of the fetus in second and third trimesters. Introduction to the sonographic appearances, scanning protocols and techniques in performing small parts (breast, scrotal, thyroid, appendix, prostate) and lower extremity venous Doppler studies will be covered. 24 hours per week.
Prerequisite(s): Completion of SON 221.
Note(s): Open to Diagnostic Medical Sonography degree students only.
Course Student Learning Outcomes:
- Perform routine and abnormal obstetrical, abdominal, and pelvic sonographic examinations.
- Formulate a provisional diagnosis upon identification of abnormal sonographic appearances of the fetus and supporting structures.
- Analyze obstetrical measurements to assess whether growth is appropriate for gestational age.
- Perform routine sonographic exams of various structures and lower extremity vasculature.
- Perform routine and abnormal abdominal and pelvic exams as appropriate.
Click here for course schedule details, to register for this course, or to view required books for this course.