ENG 102 - English Composition II
Course Description: Building on skills learned in English Composition I, students will sharpen their academic writing, close reading, and critical thinking skills, as well as develop research skills. Using a writing process that includes pre-writing, drafting, instructor and peer feedback, and revision, students will produce thesis-driven, evidence-based essays that employ appropriate rhetorical strategies. In English Composition 2, students will be introduced to at least two documentation styles and will produce a total of 18-24 pages of polished formal writing in three or more source-based essays.
ISLOs: This course supports student development of Written and Oral Communications, Critical Thinking, and Multicultural and Global Literacy.
Prerequisite(s): Completion of ENG 101 with a C- or better.
Note(s): This course has been approved to meet the Core curriculum General Education Requirement.
Course Student Learning Outcomes:
- Apply active and critical reading skills to the analysis and synthesis of a variety of college-level texts
- Use a writing process that includes prewriting, drafting, instructor and peer feedback, and revision to produce clearly written, evidence-based, thesis-driven essays that employ appropriate standard English and rhetorical strategies for a defined audience
- Implement research skills that include locating, evaluating, summarizing, quoting, paraphrasing and synthesizing a variety of scholarly and popular sources, and use appropriate documentation to maintain academic integrity
- Use a minimum of two documentation styles
- Complete formal and/or informal writing and/or oral assignments that ask students to identify one or more of the following dimensions of a written or visual text: global/multicultural perspectives; historical, political, economic and social trends; scientific and environmental developments; aesthetic appreciation and creativity
Click here for course schedule details, to register for this course, or to view required books for this course.