COM 124 - Media Writing
Course Description: This course introduces students to the concepts and techniques needed to gather and organize information for the purpose of media writing. Students learn the fundamentals of purpose, context, voice, technique, and structure for effective writing for various forms of media, including print, broadcast, and online.
Prerequisite(s): Concurrent enrollment in or completion of ENG 101.
General Education Elective(s): Humanities
Course Student Learning Outcomes:
- Apply information-gathering and effective listening techniques, including interviewing.
- Use professional stylebooks and guides to format writing for a particular media.
- Make distinctions in content of various types of media writing.
- Write content for a variety of media.
- Articulate ethical, legal, and copyright issues related to writing.
- Consider ethical implications and apply ethical decision making in the field of media writing.
- Critically reflect on professional practice.
Click here for course schedule details, to register for this course, or to view required books for this course.