COM 110 - Screenwriting the Short Film
Course Description: This course provides students with a working knowledge of the challenges and techniques inherent in writing the short film script. Discussion points include plot, character, conflict, dialogue, genre, and structure with the intent to enhance writing workshop and critical skills.
Prerequisite(s): Concurrent enrollment in or completion of ENG 101.
General Education Elective(s): Humanities
Course Student Learning Outcomes:
- Analyze both short and feature film scripts in terms of storytelling principles - act structure, plot, scene construction, character arc, tone, mood and theme.
- Pitch a film script idea.
- Write a log-line, beat sheet, and treatment for a screenplay.
- Correctly format a narrative film script.
- Develop and write a script for a short film.
- Consider ethical implications and apply ethical decision making in the field of screenwriting.
- Critically reflect on professional practice.
Click here for course schedule details, to register for this course, or to view required books for this course.