BUS 158 - Food Science and Sanitation
Course Description: This course covers the basic principles of sanitation, food science and nutrition. Topics include nutrition and food terminology, food group identification, nutritional standards, food pyramids, building nutritional recipes and menus, understanding nutrition and disease, food labeling and the scientific basics of the different methodologies used in healthy cooking. The principles of sanitation and safe food handling, as well as the ServSafe certification exam will be covered.
Course Student Learning Outcomes:
- Explain the science of food groups, vitamins and minerals.
- Explain the basic principles of nutrition, healthy cooking, food pyramids and menu building.
- Calculate and analyze the nutritional value of recipes.
- Identify the components of food labeling.
- Construct a HACCP plan.
- Prepare to take Serv Safe certification examination.
Click here for course schedule details, to register for this course, or to view required books for this course.